Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Let go, of letting it go

I had a dream that you and I were hiking up a mountain.

Our packs were heavy because we picked up so many things we thought we would need for this trip.

I decided to slowly let stuff out of my pack and I made progress, but when I looked to my side you were not there.

I noticed that you were still struggling.  I yelled to you, "Let some stuff out of your pack, we are almost there!"

But you refused.

I came back to you to help you, but the load was too heavy for both of us.

I begged and pleaded with you to drop some of your stuff, but you refused.

As night approached, I realized that we would both succumb to the weight of your pack. I had to leave if we wanted a chance for either of us to survive.

I left you there on your knees, and as I approached the summit I too fell, but because my pack was lighter and there were other people with lighter packs on the same trail who helped me, I could continue.

As I climbed, I looked back. I saw you finally decide to remove some of your baggage and made some progress, but when I looked back again later I saw you had picked up some more things, basically the same things, but in a different color.

When I finally saw the summit, I knew I could probably make it to the top by the time the cold night consumed me.  I looked back to you and once again asked you to relieve your burden so you could climb.  I pleaded with you. But you still refused. You fell again under the crushing weight you still chose to carry.  But it seems that the old conveniences you think you need are the very things that keep you on your knees.

I have to go on my friend, I am being called from the top.

You are the only one that can let go of those things you think you need.

Others who say they are helping are just adding more stuff to your pack.

Good luck my friend. I have to move on.